Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Quilt Progress

Last night was session number two of my quilt class. To be accurate, my piecing class. I completed seven blocks during the class and I finished eight more this evening. I need to have one more done before the next class.


I am having a lot of fun making the cute little 6 ½” blocks! The first one that we did in class was ‘rail fence’. I cut the three strips and sewed them together, but my seams were a bit generous, so I had to take them apart and re-do. Not a great beginning, but it certainly made me more careful with the rest of my seams.

We also did 9-patch and 9-patch with a variation and one framed square block. It seems that the kit was designed with lots of room for error, so I might have enough extra to add a row of blocks to make the finished quilt a bit bigger than the plan.

Next week, we will do log cabin, flying geese and friendship star. The final class will be the following week and that is when we will put the blocks together.

The next class schedule is due out at the first of the year. I hope I can enroll in the next session of ‘Beginning Quilting’. Most of the classes are during the day, though, and that doesn’t work for me. After the quilting class, I will need to enroll in the ‘Borders and Binding’ class. So, it will be quite awhile before I have a finished project.

Dear Sis shared some of her tiny pieced ornaments here. Maybe I will try something like that if a quilting class is not available right away. (I will have to try to talk her out of that book....)

7 comments:

Gaynell said...

Thanks for sharing your progress. Looks like your sampler includes almost all of the traditional squares! It will be fun to see the finished product.

Martha said...

Congratulations, Jan -- Your blocks look great. You're not just a quilt collector anymore -- you're an actual quilter. I think making little pieced ornaments would be fun and also good practice -- you might even want to try hand piecing a few.

Iron Needles said...

Excellent progress! Looks like things are going along just swimmingly. You won't be wanting to share your fabric with me anymore now.

I will be glad to share my book with you, but the pieces are tiny enough that I did them all by hand.

lunaticraft said...

Beautiful! I love the color combinations.

Allie said...

Congratulations - your blocks look fantastic! I wish I could've taken a class, I'm a terrible piecer. Good job!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

You blocks look very pretty. I love the color combo! I may have to give quilting a try this winter. It looks like fun. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Lynne said...

I'm impressed! The quilt looks great! Good work!

I know the feeling of not finding classes that are convenient. I can only find knitting classes in the evening and not during the day. Hopefully you'll work out a time to take the next installment!