Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A '3-G' Cutter Quilt

One Christmas, when I was a teenager, my mother cut up a quilt and made this coat for me.
It was a quilt that she made with wool that she got as a wedding gift, I believe, or maybe a graduation gift. It was not a pieced quilt, it was two pieces of fabric with carded wool sandwiched in between, and hand quilted. I am not sure what the fabric content was, but it was shiny and slick and never stayed on a bed (It is kind of a heavy-ish taffeta). But, it was very warm! And beautiful! One side was burgundy and the other was royal purple.

It was not really practical as a bed cover and it had some damage that was inflicted by a small wiener dog pet (who made the most unfortunate choices of things to chew on).

I was so surprised on Christmas morning! I couldn’t believe she had cut it up!

For me!

It kept me warm on the coldest days!I wore it for several years, but it was not a good coat to wear shopping or running errands. Since it wrapped around and tied in the back, it really couldn’t be worn ‘open. ’

It really was too warm unless you were going to be outside for awhile in below freezing temps. So I put it away for ‘safe-keeping’.

The scraps were saved in a brown grocery bag that found its way to my basement and when Ms A was small, I thought that it would be perfect backing for a Christmas stocking. I kind of followed a pattern that was in a needle-craft magazine, but also just sort of winged it as far as embellishments.


I lined it with fabric from an old sheet, so it is very soft, inside. The embroidered ‘label’ was back in my days of stamped cross-stitching. I didn’t know any ‘real’ embroidery stitches, so it is pretty wonky.

The fabric in the coat has some breaks and it is too small for me now, (and I live in the desert ...) so I would like to think of some project that would use the quilt/coat for something that would not suffer the wear and tear of a garment.

Any ideas?

8 comments:

Iron Needles said...

See! More jealousy! Mom always made the good stuff for you!

I always love that xmas stocking. I wonder about making three others...

Gaynell said...

I think a scarf and/or hat would be a good choice...they are "garments" but don't get wear and tear. Maybe something for the Littles. They live where it gets cold. Or maybe for Becky's eldest. Again, I am thinking of those who live in cold areas.(BTW it is going to be 17 degrees here tonight!) You could send it home with me!!!

Gaynell said...

I remember when Mom was making the jacket. She did most of the work at my house..we cut it out in my basement from a pattern that I really liked, but never had just the right fabric, etc, etc. It was a fun secret to keep. Mom appreciated your appreciation of things vintage even then.

Martha said...

What a wonderful coat and the quilting is fabulous. I love this type of gift from the heart.

I'm thinking tote bag -- pillow -- tea cozy -- vest. My favorite idea -- more Christmas stockings with some little motifs embroidered inside the clamshells and feathers.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Not sure what I love more - the coat or how you 1-upped your dear sis again! Tee hee

How about a vest? That would be great for hiking around your area...

Lynne said...

I am so impressed that you kept it all these years, as most people, especially when they move, tend to shed things as they go. What a treasure! Maybe you should wait until you move back to Kansas ( I heard they had snow and cold today ...) before making any permanent decisions regarding this special quilt-turned-coat.

lunaticraft said...

Beautiful coat. It's got such a nice cut to it! And the stocking is beautiful as well.

Sweet_Vee said...

I must have a coat like that!!!!