Monday, December 1, 2008

I have planted another section of my kitchen farm.

Well, not really a section... more like a quarter... or maybe just the north forty.




This is a gift from a Thanksgiving guest. They had no idea that I am cultivating bulbs this fall, but I was so excited to open it up! It is a red amaryllis. I have forgotten the name of the variety and I threw away the package, but it was something important. Maybe Imperial Something, or Peacock Something, or Lion Something.... Well, it doesn't matter.

My past efforts with Amaryllis were not successful, perhaps due to neglect and abuse by animals.

This year will be different.

I read the instructions and followed them to a "t". It is sitting in the sunniest place in the house to get started.

It was actually difficult to find a sunny spot, since houses in the desert are designed to not allow the sun in, what with the sun screens on the windows and the awnings. The kitchen window does get a little sun, though.

After it gets started, then I can move it to another spot. I can't wait to see it start to grow!


This is my entire crop! The paperwhites are very close to having their first open bloom (The photo does not show the tallest bud, so you will have to take my word for it!) and I can see the first bit of green coming up from the center of the hyacinths. I am looking forward to many weeks of flowering enjoyment! I just hope the cats don't mistake it for a salad bar!



2 comments:

Iron Needles said...

Having seen them in person, I am excited for posting on the progess of your crop.

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe that those ugly things in the bowl with rocks hve morphed into such tall plants. Do you suppose Jack's beanstalk was really a paperwhite? Please post a picture of the blooms. Love, WS