Yesterday, Dearest Sister announced her two year! Blogaversary!
I remember the day she opened the blog world door for me - we were talking on the phone and she directed me to log into her Ravelry page. I was all 'huh?' Why would people take photos of yarn...?
Then, she directed me to her blog - and her blogroll. I spent the better part of the next couple of months discovering bloggers and reading their archives like a crazy cat woman lurker.
DS has always been a writer of her thoughts. A journal keeper, a list maker and a goal setter.
I am none of those things, but I aspire to be a bit of each. In the past, I started journaling a couple of times. Never seriously, or for any length of time, though. She is also a much more careful writer than I am. I just pound out my thoughts, edit for clarity and brevity and publish. She blogs about what she thinks and has learned (her eldest teases her about her 'hippie talk'). I am more about 'look what I made'!
She sets goals to master new skills - and generally achieves them - and more. I am more about trying something new now and again, usually sticking to the bunny slopes.
Through the process of blogging, I have made progress toward those goals, though. Mainly because I have been inspired by so many others and found so many things that I would like to do. And so many things broken down into baby steps to make them approachable!
So, as this is the beginning of a new year, AND a new decade, I have decided to make a list of goals.
- I am going to continue my journey to become a healthier weight with better eating and regular exercise (I haven't made any 'forward progress' in a couple of months, but I didn't go backwards during the holidays, so I am counting that as progress)
- I am going to stop increasing my fabric stash. Not to stop buying fabric, just to start using it up at least as fast I bring it home!
- Ditto for yarn, which is easier, since I am only really tempted by cotton yarn for dishcloths...
- I want to make a quilt. This is a carryover, but still a work in progress, so I am listing it. And I want to make more quilts!
- I am going to create a better organization system in my 'studio' so that I will have room to really see he potential in the materials that I have.
Maybe next year, I will add 'knit a garment', but for now, I think this list will suffice. Even if blogging has not made me a 'writer', it has at least been a documentation process. And, I hope it will help to hold me accountable for accomplishing some things. (We will see how well that works this time next year!)
Even if blogging has not made me a 'writer', it has at least been a documentation process. And, I hope it will help to hold me accountable for accomplishing some things. (We will see how well that works this time next year!)