These were a 'commission' from MsA to take the place of the holiday coasters that I sent in her Xmas stocking. She and her husband have just moved to a new apartment that is an upgrade from the starter apartment they have been in since they moved to The Big Apple a few years ago. They are furnishing it carefully so that it will reflect their particular aesthetic and style, so I was flattered that my coaster making skills were requested!
I kind of went out on a limb, selecting a print, because she asked for grey, but I think they will approve. The print is the 'front', since I stitched the binding on that side.
I used hot iron transfers to make the backs more interesting. The gray fabric was in a Gees Bend quilt kit that i got on sale at Tuesday morning and has that hand-dyed interesting-ness.
I wish the binding stitches were a bit tidier on the gray side, so the coasters could really be considered two sided. I quilted them with light gray Aurifil 50 wt thread. It is my very favorite next to the light tan. A darker gray might have blended better on the gray side, but my thread 'wardrobe' doesn't have much variety at this time.
I am quite sure my machine sewn binding will be neater on the next project, since I had eight opportunities to practice on this set!