Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tiny Trimmings

Besides Dearest Sister's two grandbebes that will be joining the family this year, there is another baby due that is a grandbebe of our good friend that we lost last month. The mother of this child is a dear friend of Ms A. She and her mother and Ms A and I enjoyed many Girl Scout overnights through the years and we are all anticipating meeting the baby boy in a few weeks.

My baby gift plans started out grandiose. I was going to make a flannel quilt with a pattern that I got in the Great Frozen North last December.

January and February did not quite go as planned, so that idea was set aside for a purchased layette set from the Osh-Kosh store at the outlet mall. I still wanted to make something special, but with the due date approaching and other projects undone, I had about given up on the handmade aspect.

A few days ago, Martha at Q is for Quilter posted these images from the 1948 Simplicity Needlework Catalog. I decided they were just the ticket for handmade baby gifts that do not require weeks of commitment to finish!

So yesterday, I made this:

It is from Simplicity embroidery designs pattern #7123, "Story Book Trims".

I had never stitched on knit fabric and the stabilizer experience was certainly a learning one!

The suggestion was to use 6 strands of floss. I only used three strands for most everything - two strands for the giraffe.

I think it turned out a little wonky, but cute. For the next one, I may use all one color to minimize the number of knots and threads. I might try one with more strands of floss, too.

It was a really quick little project and I can't wait to do more!

3 comments:

Iron Needles said...

Very cutie-wootie! I can see the immediate gratification factor, too.

Anonymous said...

I like that a lot! If I am ever blessed with grandbabies, I know where to go to order swell things!! Love, WS

Anonymous said...

So cute! What a wonderful idea for a quick gift that still has your home-made touch -- I like it in back stitch.