Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Blogtober 28- Inspiration from "Inspirations"

Last weekend, I made a new discovery at one of the local thrift stores. I always look for books on crafting, knitting, design, etc and I found some magazines that had previously escaped my awareness.


“Inspirations” is published in Australia and is dedicated to embroidery! I never knew there was such a thing!

Of course, I don’t browse the magazine racks at Barnes & Noble, or even at JoAnn for that matter. Magazines are usually deceptively expensive. For the price of two or three, I can buy a book (especially, with a half-off coupon!) that has far more lasting appeal.

And, of course, there is the ‘I am sure someone would enjoy these, I hate to throw them away’ dilemma. That same dilemma resulted in many, many National Geographic Magazines from twenty years previous living in my basement. When we moved to the desert, I finally disposed of them through Freecycle. It took awhile to find someone who was willing to take them, though…

But, back to my discovery –



These magazines are beautiful! The cover price (2001 issues) is about $10 AU, so I would not even have been tempted at full price, but my, they are full of pretty things. And full sized patterns on very heavy paper in the ‘centre’. And, step by step directions for the most interesting looking stitches! I love the ‘drizzle stitch’ just for the name alone.

This cutey-pie little snail shell is done in the drizzle stitch. The body is one long bullion knot - another new term for me, but a very cool looking stitch!

These daffodils around the cuff of a white cotton sweater are amazing! The petals are stitched in thin air! Magic!

There are several projects that are just too much ‘project’ for me. ‘Painting with thread’ is one technique that is probably better suited to those who can paint with ‘paint’. Plus, silk embroidery thread is recommended and I do not need to move on to another medium while I still have many hundreds of skeins of cotton floss! But so beautiful!

These lilacs (one of my favorite spring flowers!) are on a footstool that took three years to complete. Not continuously stitching for three years, (and I have, myself, taken three years on a couple of dish towels that I laid down ‘in progress’), but I think I would get tired of a project that … impressive!

There are even full sized patterns for making garments to embellish with embroidery!

I can hardly wait to try that snail on a onesie, or maybe a hankie, or a tablecloth, or... something!


(If you haven't already, be sure to hop over to Needles of Iron and get in on Dearest Sister's fab giveaway. Put your name in the hat here, for a bundle of feedsack fabric!)

8 comments:

Lynne said...

Hmmm.... I have recently browsed the magazine rack of our local Borders looking in particular for those dedicated to embroidery and found none. You're right, they are a hefty price, but what fun to look through even if most projects are above your head. One can dream, can't they? I'll have to have another look, maybe at B & N this time although we don't have one close.

I love the little snail. So, the wormy part of his body is a bullion knot? Very cool! Can't wait to see you try one!

On this dreary dark and rainy day here in NJ maybe I'll just have to pick up that embroidery hoop ...

Iron Needles said...

Last night at a gathering I had a woman ask me if by chance I wanted any old knitting patterns. Apparently she has some old mags from an aunt who recently passed. I never know, though, what others interpretation of 'vintage', or 'old' might mean...

Gaynell said...

When I saw the title of the magazines, I assumed it would be something like those book-like magazines that were dedicated to a holiday (I keep talking to help me remember the name, but it is not coming to me)They had shiny covers and were quite hefty. Oh well, maybe someone will remember.

Martha said...

I've never seen that magazine. Those lilacs are lovely, but I'm afraid they are beyond my ability. I can still enjoy looking at the pictures and admiring the beautiful stitching, so I will be checking the thrift stores.

Gaynell -- You might be thinking of those magazines published by Ideal -- they also used the title "Inspiration."

Gaynell said...

Thank you, Martha! They were indeed called "Ideals." I remember when I worked at the library a couple of years ago, I would come across them..no new ones for a while, but folks still checked out the vintage ones. I was ready to go to the library to find the name..you saved me a trip. Thanks again!

Allie said...

Oh my goodness - what wonderful magazines!!! I LOVE the little snail!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

absolutely beautiful; and "inspiring" is the word! C

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Oh, those are lovely! I wonder how many years (decades?) it would take me to do a Lilac tablecloth?? That one just took my breath away.