The instructions called for 8 knots (or grubs as they are affectionately known) for the body, but I did five, since I saw that they were going to turn out lopsided. And, I did not allow enough distance between the top of the stitch and the bottom, for the number of 'wraps' in each one. If there was a little more room, the knots would lay flatter.
But, I kind of got the hang of it!
The pattern suggests putting the designs in a sampler format, but I had this set of four napkins from an auction lot, so I decided to use them for my practice 'canvas'. I think the trick is in the tension of the wraps around the needle. I poked my fingers about twenty times, trying to pull the needle through, until I loosened the thread a bit. I didn't bleed on my work, though!
Its a good thing no one is running a tally on the number of things I start before any one of them gets finished.
At least I hope no one is!