Sunday, May 2, 2010

Vintage Embroidery Transfers - 'For the Birds'

A fun thing happened in my 'blog-world' a couple of weeks ago.

Patty at Pip Stitch linked to the vintage embroidery transfers that I posted here and here in February. A couple of days later, an Israeli blog named Friendstitch, (written in French) linked to them, as well. Over the next few days, people from all over the world were visiting those posts!

I am a believer in the 'paying it forward' school of thought, and I have benefited greatly from the generosity of other bloggers from the very beginning of this journey. (Dearest Sister, particularly!)

I had no idea that so many people would be interested in the designs, but I realized that if I added the transfers to my

Flikr album, it would be easier for others to download and enjoy them. I added them to my photo stream and to the Hoop Love vintage embroidery pool.

One of the members of the Hoop Love group commented, and identified them as Betty Burton designs. I went through the group of transfers again, and I found this envelope and additional pages!


(After a little research, I found more information about Betty Burton transfers, here. )

The additional pages connected some of the dots regarding the motifs. There were more nursery rhymes to go with the Jack and Jill, and other themes, such as animals, 'baby' and 'His and Hers', etc.

Today, I am sharing some of the bird designs:

I love the cute tam on this ducklings head!

This little chick must have something to crow about!

I think this birdie is the quintessential symbol of spring!

I think this one is my favorite! It makes me think of a elementary school art project with pipe cleaner legs glued to a board and maybe a Styrofoam head with paper beak and 'dunce cap'(?)

I haven't added these to the Flikr pool, yet. I need to upgrade my account to be able to add more photos. I hope to get that done in the next day or two, though, so I can share these and the others, as I get them scanned.

It was really fun to have so many people from around the globe visit my blog, but the best part was being able to share something unique. The thought that those transfers were sitting in a box or on a shelf for so many decades (my grandmother died in the late 1940's)and now they are enjoyed by people around the world makes me really happy!

5 comments:

Martha said...

It was interesting to read about the Betty Burton transfers -- I'd never heard of them before. They are seriously adorable, and I can understand why collectors and embroiderers would be excited to find them.

Gaynell said...

My first inclination when I read "Hoop Love" was basketball. However, I know better now! Can I say that my sister is world famous??

Patty said...

Thanks so much for sharing your transfers! Hoop Love is my own personal crack. I can spend hours downloading patterns and then labeling them so I can find them when I need them. (Nothing else is my life is this organized. Except for my floss boxes.) I've never heard of Betty Burton patterns either. I'll have to go read up on them. Thanks again!

Allie said...

I've never heard of Betty Burton before - I have a bunch of vintage transfers too, I'll have to look into scanning them! These are darling!

Iron Needles said...

Were those some that were forwarded through the cousins? How exciting to have...you know...international readers!