Sunday, May 9, 2010

Weekend in California

This weekend, The Mister and I went to California. A car club that we are affiliated with, "So-Cal Galaxies", hosts a car show on Saturday before Mother's Day every year. It is an "All Ford" show and it benefits the Anaheim Police Department.
(Where else would you see so many Edsels in a row?)

We entered our Fairlane and won second in our class ("Fairlane and Torino - all years"). It was participant voting, so nothing scientific, but it is fun to get an award!

It was a long day at the show, but we were 'helpers' so I didn't get any stitching done.

We arrived in California early in the afternoon on Friday, so I convinced The Mister that we should go to IKEA. I wanted to show him some bookcases that I am forming a plan around, but my ulterior motive was to buy 'souvenir' fabric!

I bought one yard of the white with birds and a half of the grey with leaves. Both are quilt weight cotton. No plan for them yet, but lots of potential!

Then, I got a yard of this one:

It is a huge print in heavy home decorator weight. I really don't have any idea of what I will use it for, but it was just so fun, I had to have some! On the drive home, I decided that perhaps a little back pack or a tote bag might be just the ticket!

When it was all said and done, we both brought home something fun from the trip. The Mister got another plaque to add to the 'wall of fame' and I got fabric!

8 comments:

Gaynell said...

The fun print makes me think of the story of Heidi..the colors really appeal to me. Glad you both had a succesful weedend!

Martja said...

Congrats to you and the Mister on your award -- love the Edsels photo.

The botanical prints from Ikea are so pretty -- I think I'm going to try your idea of purchasing souvenir fabric.

Iron Needles said...

Glad you had a good time. I am imagining the Mister at Ikea...

Miri said...

Great fabrics! What a fun idea to get souvenir fabric at Ikea!

Allie said...

I'd love to see that show - I love love love old cars! Congrats on second place!
I think I need to run over to Ikea and get some of that fabric, the blue is so yummy! A tote or backpack is a wonderful idea.

Lynne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynne said...

oops! That was me ... too many errors caused by hurried fingers ...

I didn't even know that Ikea had fabrics! Leave it to you!

I can maybe see doing some embroidery embellishments on that leafy gray cotton fabric, or maybe even cutting out the leafy shapes and using them as appliqué for a quilt?? Might be unique!

And what a fun fabric the blue one is!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

sounds like a lovely time...never been to IKEA, but am about ready to take a trek and find a store. C