Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Bluebird of Swappiness


Last fall, I participated in a pin cushion swap at quilt guild. The swap committee arranged to swap with other modern quilt guilds in Baltimore, Austin, and Vancouver.  We were not  partnered with anyone in particular, so there was no need to try to make one to suit some one's taste.

I made this little bluebird from a design in a Stash Book called, "Little Birds".   The designer is Laura Clempson who blogs at www.cupcakesforclara.com.

I did not enlarge the pattern, so it is half the size of the one in the book. Because it was smaller, I also did not stuff the wings.  I just used really thick wool felt.  I stuffed the body with wool roving and added the flower head pins for feathers.

It was a little nerve wracking trying to come up with an idea .  The instructions just required a "modern aesthetic".  I kept thinking a quilted design would be more appropriate, but I just couldn't think of a way to make a quilted one that would be special.  In the end, I was pleased with how it turned out and it was really fun to anticipate which one I would get to take home with me. 
We submitted our finished projects at the November meeting and received the new ones at the December meeting a few weeks ago. 

This is the one i got from Kim in Austin:

It is filled with walnut shells, which Is new to me, so I am anxious to see how it compares. It is certainly more decorative than any of my traditional tomato pincushions!  It will be nicer to use when I am watching TV in the living room, since I usually leave a pincushion on the end table. 

And, a couple of weeks  ago, I got a very nice email from Ann, in Vancouver, who was the recipient of my little bird!  

We have a great swap/challenge committee!  I can't wait to see what they come up with this year!

2 comments:

Cola said...

oh my that little bird is SO CUTE! :D

Vic H. said...

Well that is just damn adorable! I'm sure whoever gets it will find it too cute to poke with sharp pins...LOL!