Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ringing In

So, I am late to the 'goals for 2013' party, but let's just call it fashionably late, because I have been making lots of plans and lists!

I don't have a collage to show the things I got accomplished in 2012, but a good many of last year's starts will be finished in 2013, so I show them later. 
(One goal is to implement a better organization system for photos and more regular posting!)

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have resolved to sew from my stash in 2013.   It has not been easy to get out of the habit of shopping the sales, but after six weeks of sticking to the plan I am feeling better than ever about it.  And, I have lots of fabric, so it is really not a deprivation. 

High level goals:
Quilt at least one of the backlog of tops that are hanging in the closet each month.
I have 3 or 4 that I have made and a couple that I picked up at estate sales.
Make at least 6 quilts for charity - probably Project Linus (I have lots of flannel that I want to use!) 
Finish embroidering the vintage Story Time blocks to pass off to Dearest Sister to put into a quilt for her grandbebe girl #5. This is actually a high priority, as she is on track to finish up quilt number four pretty soon.  

Skill building activities:
Finish the Craftsy 2012 Block of the Month that I enrolled in 12 months ago and started two weeks ago.


















Progress, so far.  New skills:  Dresden Plate, English paper pieced hexagons, and the slashed blocks - wonky pound sign and the asterisk.  I am also getting fairly consistent with my quarter inch seam. 

Craftsy 2013 Block of the month 
Possible fabrics...









Skill Builder Block of the Month at Pile o Fabric








Still auditioning fabric for this one.  I tried to pick a palette from Dropseed, but I am not confident of my choices.  

Lucky Stars paper piecing Block of the Month at Don't Call Me Betsy
I am going to try to mirror her fabric choices, as best I can.  I might use solids. 

Other Craftsy classes:
Machine Quilting Negative Space with Angela Walters
Inspired Modern Quilts and
Creative Quilt Backs with Elizabeth Hartman
Color Play for Quilters with Joen Wolfrom 
Knit sock Workshop with Donna Druchunas

As you can see i went a little bit nuts during the Xmas sale at Craftsy.  It seems shopping for on-line classes may have taken the place of shopping on line for fabric, but I am excited to learn some new things and continue sharpening skills.  

I hope you all had a good holiday season and that getting back into routine goes smoothly!

3 comments:

Vic H. said...

I'm so love those Denyse Schmidt prints you have...didn't we do a braid type of block with those for your block swap?? I should have bought them then!! I'm going to join you on the fabric diet....after tomorrow!

Gaynell said...

Your goals are commendable! Pictures of the finished products will be welcomed!

Iron Needles said...

I didn't realize the sock knitting class was by Donna. She's a local and taught a class for the guild a couple years ago. That I missed because of a trip to Philly. But still. I was signed up for it...and I have a book by her. But not about socks, about knitting lace from qivuit.

Oh yes. Good job on the goals.