Thursday, February 5, 2009

Rangerettes - 1961

The winters in Greensburg, Kansas can be very cold. They are always windy. All seasons there are windy, as a rule.

In 1961, when Deeply Missed Sister was homecoming queen, she was also a cheerleader. They wore sensible, yet flattering uniforms. Red wool. With earmuffs.



My mother made one of the uniforms at least (for sister), maybe for others, as she was often called upon to do. I remember her hand sewing spangles on the basketball cheerleader uniforms - for indoor cheering, more attention to detail, rather than comfort, could be paid. For the longest time, there were left over spangles in the sewing box.

I don't recall gymnastic feats from cheerleaders back in the day, just pumping up the crowd, so they didn't freeze to the benches in the stands, I imagine.



But I digress...



There was also a bell... I don't really remember the bell, but here it is. The word Ranger is painted on it and as you see, it was mounted on its own little cart. Perhaps it was rung in celebration of victory. Perhaps it was an obscure reference to the "rang" in Ranger...

Besides parades and photos of "how high the snow has drifted", I was reminded of another classification of Mother's "Kodak moments" (although she used an Argus C3).





The "look how high the wheat crop is this year" category! This wheat crop photo is particularly significant, because I am part of the unit of measure!

That is my mother, holding me and next to her is my Aunt Arlene, my father's older sister. I believe my cousin Margie is on the right.

And behind us all are the famous plains for sweeping winds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were photogenic even in a wheat field!! Love, WS