Friday, February 20, 2009

Catching up...

...from being away takes a few days!

The Mister and I lost a dear friend last week and flew to Kansas City for his funeral. The Mister doesn't like to fly and only the most pressing circumstance will compel him to travel by air. This was one of those times.


I snapped this as I waited for Ms A at the airport. I really enjoy being in familiar territory!

Ms A also joined us, traveling from Ohio, as our dear friend's daughter is her dear friend. Our families have spent many occasions together through the last 15 years, or so. Our world is much richer for having known him and we will miss him very much.

Although we were there for a sad occasion we did enjoy being among good friends and familiar places!


Ms A and I had one of our favorite Valentine lunches! Dear Niece K calls it "chicken in a pop tart" but it is really Vol au Vent - chicken in a white wine sauce with puff pastry. It is only heart shaped on February 14th! Notice also the heart shaped pickled beets - a favorite!

We also went to two estate sales! I had to buy a suitcase at the thrift store to get all my treasure home in. I hope to share some photos of two lovely quilts that I bought in the next day or two. (I am still unpacking!)

I also had lots of time for stitching. I completed the Queen of Hearts and Polly (put the tea kettle on) for the Rhymeland Quilt. I am soaking Polly as I didn't notice a bit of yellowing on the fabric before I stitched it. She may end up being a "re-do" if it doesn't come out.

I am glad that we were able to see so many friends and family members during this unplanned visit, but it is good to be home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures on your DS's blog-- what cuties! I read up on the "rolling egg"-- does it really get 68 miles to the gallon? Is that where they got the idea for the smart car? Have you seen the smart cars? Tish

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are finally safely home! Love, WS

Iron Needles said...

You didn't tell me you went to Andres! You are keeping secrets. Also, Eldest Daughter told me she shared Andres choc that she got at the wedding with you! MORE secrets.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are back -- the quilt is looking wonderful! I love the 2-color idea.