Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hey Diddle Diddle!

I am really pleased with this Rhymeland Quilt block! I think the colors are going to be perfect! I used three strands for the letters, so that made them a little bolder than on the Mother Goose Block.








(I didn't notice until I uploaded the photo that I missed the serif at the top of the "L" in the second "diddle".)

This weekend, I finished organizing all my thread, sewing and embroidery. I found a really ancient looking envelope with some embroidery floss in "half skeins" by Bucilla. The labels said that they contained 4 1/2 yards. Some of the older skeins in my stash have 9 yards in a skein. I imagine that there must have been an uproar when the companies changed to 8 yard skeins. Similar to when the breakfast cereal companies put less cereal in a box that used to hold more, instead of charging more for the original quantity!

This week, I will be concentrating on cleaning house. Today, we received word that The Mister's youngest sister and her husband will be visiting in seven days time. They said they were considering a visit, but we have heard that quite a bit from various friends and family since we moved here to Desert Crazy Town, and we never assume that the plans will come to fruition, until we receive a specific itinerary.

Now that we know for sure they are coming, The Mister will want everything to be "just so". Luckily, he is a much better housekeeper than I am so he will do all the dusting, vacuuming and carpet shampooing. I just have to pick up after myself and think about the cooking, grocery shopping, etc. The only down side is that I won't be able to take time off work to "play" while they are here. My assistant has already planned to be off that week, and one of us has to "mind the store", so I will have to be content with seeing them in the evenings. I am excited that they are coming! It will be fun to have company and gives us something to look forward to!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The block is just right...I didn't even notice the mising "thing" until you mentioned it.
Becky's eldest and SO are to be in town for a wedding this week and we will get to see them Thursday eve. I scrubbed the kitchen floor last night!! Love, WS

Iron Needles said...

I think the colors are perfect. Not too pink, so as not to be pre-disposed girlish. Inbetween strips are cut for quilt #2, but I am not sure. Once I laid it out, I think the pattern may be too big.

Anonymous said...

Love the colors -- they're just right. I wish I had thought to make the lettering 3 strands -- it does stand out better. Can't wait to see your progress.

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great and I love the work you and mom have put into these quilts! V and I and the offspring will hold these close for always.
-B