Sunday, February 12, 2012

Retreat Recap

I spent the weekend at the first annual Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild retreat!

Nine members and two guests traveled to Southern Utah for the weekend. We stayed at a wonderful vacation home, surrounded by great scenery (we found the house through homeway.com) While we did venture out for various errands, lunch and shopping, mostly we stayed in the basement theatre/billiard room and sewed.

This is the theatre side of the room. The other side accommodated four more sewing tables, two cutting stations and a pressing table. It was perfect!

I worked on these blocks. They are made from Elizabeth Hartman's Octagonal Orb Block tutorial featured at The Modern Quilt Guild Blog (which was originally inspired by Heather Bostic's pillow). They finish at about 17" across, so I plan to make 6 more, if my fabric holds out. I used a fat eighth stack of Flora, by Lauren and Jessi Jung.

It doesn't look like I got very much accomplished, but I feel like each of the completed blocks was eight blocks in one! I also cut pieces for 3 more orbs and I made some progress on embroidering some of Ruby McKim's Roly Poly Circus blocks for a quilt for Dearest Sister's grandbebe number five (another girl!)

Sharon brought a tiny pieced block as challenge/gift for each person. The pieced block was about two inches square made of tiny half inch squares.

These were some of the challenge projects. Clockwise from the top left: Andrea's beer pong cozy, Cindy's pot holder, Bev's coaster, my pin cushion, Maria's tiny cushion to protect the bed of her featherweight when it is folded up, Tracie's tissue cover and Darlene's iPhone purse.

We all had a great time and by Sunday morning, the discussion had turned to how many days we should add to next year's retreat! We drove home under rainy, overcast skies, but that was kind of a nice change, as well.

I am looking forward to seeing some finishes at show and tell next month!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure think it would be fun to quilt with you.... :)
-K

Allie said...

How fun!!! That looks like a gorgeous location. Your blocks are really gorgeous - can't wait to see your Roly Poly quilt, I made one of those years ago for a friend, love the blocks. And they're fun to stitch! Cute little projects!

Gaynell said...

My thought was for the woman who brought the little challenge/gifts...sewing together 1/2 in squares.. WOW. I like your round designs.
Sounds like a good time was had by everyone!

lunaticraft said...

Those octagons are so pretty!

Sachiko said...

Hello! Thank you so much for your comment on my Tiny tin bedroom post. :) I LOVE the quilt blocks on the secound picture, they are so cheerful and adorable!